Saturday, February 29, 2020

THE “AUTOPILOT” CHRISTIAN/BELIEVER

When the word “autopilot” is mentioned, the first thought is the device in an aircraft that takes control of the aircraft when the pilot stops controlling the aircraft manually. So, an “autopilot” Christian/Believer is one who feels or thinks that his/her Christian walk or life has nothing to do with him/her, but a special "something" within.


This kind of Christian/Believer takes no responsibility for his/her Christian life. All he/she believes is the famous statement: “IF GOD HAS SAID I WILL BE ‘A’, I WILL DEFINITELY BE AN ‘A’ NO MATTER WHAT I DO.” For this kind of Christian/Believer, all he/she does is to continue living life as he/she pleases with the hope that he/she will eventually enter into the promise of God. This kind of Christian/Believer is a great fan of Carrie Underwood’s ‘Jesus, Take the Wheel’. I can promise you that he/she enjoys the chorus more than the verses. If you have not heard the song I am talking about, please follow this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lydBPm2KRaU.


Anyway, the above believer was me before I decided to go to Bible School in October 2017. And before Bible School, I had already been a Christian for thirteen (13) years. Yes! I mean thirteen (13) good years, not three (3) years. If my years as a Christian could be translated to years in school in Ghana, I should have been preparing for my Basic Education Certificate Examination (B.E.C.E) in Junior High School. Indirectly, I should have been knowledgeable about the basics of mathematics, English, integrated science, social studies, etc.


If I had translated that understanding to my spiritual life then, I should have had knowledge of the “principles of the doctrine of Christ” as the writer of Hebrews puts it, even before going to Bible School. Yet, for thirteen (13) good years, all I did was to put my Christian life on AUTOPILOT.
Do not misunderstand me. Though I was on "AUTOPILOT", I was always at church for any and every service. I evangelized more than I'm doing today. I worked at church more than I'm doing today. I could repeat the messages of my pastor like a CD on replay. The only problem was that: I DID NOT KNOW GOD FOR MYSELF. The God I kept telling others about was the God my pastor knew and preached about.

Hebrews 6:1-2 King James Version (KJV)
1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,
2 Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

According to the writer of Hebrews, Repentance, Faith, Baptisms, Laying on of Hands, Resurrection of the Dead and Eternal Judgment are the basic lessons every believer must understand in his/her baby stage. These are the ingredients he/she finds in the milk he/she must suck when he/she becomes a Christian. If he/she does not know them, he/she is a baby no matter the position he/she holds in Church. The Apostles followed Jesus Christ for three (3) years learning all these secrets. Yet, for 13 years I had nothing to show.

1 Peter 2:2 King James Version (KJV)
As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:

I had heard 1st Peter chapter two verse two several times when I gave my life to Christ at Winners Chapel. This is a Word-based church. But, because my Christian life was on “AUTOPILOT”, I didn’t see the need to study the Bible. Why? I thought the "thing" within me was responsible for my spiritual growth without my effort. I did not feel the need to be RESPONSIBLE for my spiritual growth. And I could misquote several scriptures to back this lazy Christian life. The famous one being: “IT IS NOT BY MY STRENGTH BUT BY HIS SPIRIT SAITH THE LORD.”



If this describes you, I have some scriptures for you to study. Please do not read-only, I want you to study them. They are different scriptures from different writers. Find the Greek meanings, note the similarities, and let me know what you will find.


Luke 13:24 King James Version (KJV)
Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.

Philippians 2:12 King James Version (KJV)
Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

1 Timothy 6:12 King James Version (KJV)
Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.

2 Timothy 4:7 King James Version (KJV)
I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:

Jude 3 King James Version (KJV)
3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.



QUESTIONS:
1. Do you believe in the concept of “AUTOPILOT" CHRISTIAN/BELIEVER?
2. Do you believe a CHRISTIAN/BELIEVER should do nothing after accepting Jesus Christ?
3. Do you believe a CHRISTIAN/BELIEVER should live as he/she pleases after accepting Jesus Christ as his/her Lord and Personal Saviour?

We would love to read and share your thoughts and opinions. Please try to back your opinions with scriptures to help a brother/sister in the faith add to knowledge. Send us an email trotrodevotion@gmail.com or send us a WhatsApp message or voice note to (+233)(0)557-445-225.

Remain a blessing as you remain in Christ.

(...to be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is your take on the topic?